[Discuss] TV Streamers

Deryk Barker dbarker at camosun.bc.ca
Thu Oct 23 13:53:00 PDT 2014

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cheap media streamer that doesn't insist on using some braindead sever like Plex ("you MUST sort and name your medai like this" no I ***ing mustn't!)

I've been using a Dune BD Prime for the main tv for a number of years and the great thing about it - aside from being uncluttered by "channels' (no, I don't want netflix thank you) is that it will simply connect to an NFS-exported directory on my server and take it from there.

Apparently such simplicity is out of fashion: a quick look at things like Roku, Chromecast etc shows no such ability.

Does anyone know of any such device? I don't want to spend much as it's for a bedroom tv which isn't, frankly, used much.

deryk

-------
Deryk Barker, Faculty Emeritus
Computer Science Department