[Discuss] Next SIG meeting on February 7

Murray Strome wmstrome at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 6 22:34:12 PST 2015

On 2015-02-04 09:27 PM, Murray Strome wrote:
> On 2015-02-04 03:15 PM, Cy Schubert wrote:
>> I'll see if I can come.
>
> Thanks. That would be great. I will see how far I get before then. In
> the meantime, can you please give me your take on LVM vs ZFS?
> I have managed to get a bit further than when I wrote my original
> E-Mail.  In particular, the address for the webadmin had some errors
> (spaces instead of slashes, for one thing). Since there is very little
> installed in Ubuntu Server (e.g. purely terminal and an editor I never
> heard of before - nano - it is pretty easy to make mistakes when I am
> looking at the instructions on one computer and doing the work on
> another.
>
> Hope to see you on Saturday.
>
> If I DO get it working before then, I will  share with the group what
> I did to do so.
>
> Murray

Well, I now have a working NAS server with the storage configured as
ZFS. I have not tried setting up the shares yet, but it looks fairly
straightforward.

I have learned a LOT (but probably not even the tip of the iceberg)
about ZFS.  I will bring a power-point presentation (not too long) that
was prepared some time ago by the fellow who developed it for Solaris.
Eventually (hopefully before I forget everything about it), I will go
through the setup again on a USB drive and provide that documentation
for anyone interested.

 From what I can see so far, it looks like a really good way to go for a
NAS-server.  I can show some of the reasons I think so at the meeting
tomorrow. I won't have to bring my computer in, as it is now working,
and it is very easy to work with.

I see that I won't need to ever login on the computer itself as even
without doing so, I can easily login from a terminal on any of my
computers and can either use command lines or Webadmin for a very nice
web interface to the computer. Thus, I can just put it somewhere out of
the way and it won't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Now, I just have to figure out the strategy for backing up my computers
to it. One nice thing about it is that I don't need to specify the size
of any of the data shares when I create them, unlike other file systems.

It has taken me quite a lot of effort, and I can relate some of the
pitfalls (if there were any, I was certain to find them!) and perhaps
how to avoid them.

The basis for the system is Ubuntu-Server 14.10.

See those of you who will be at the SIG tomorrow.

Murray