[Discuss] Peculiar dd or dcfldd behaviour

Murray Strome wmstrome at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 13 23:17:53 PST 2015

I am trying to clone the HD on my son's computer (Windows7) so that |I could install a larger HD.  I booted to a live USB XUbuntu distribution and tried both dd and dcfldd like
sudo dcfldd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdX
where X is replaced by the external drive to which I wanted the clone to be created.
I get an error something like:
dcfldd:/dev/sdX:No such drive

However, the drive  /dev/sdX is there; I can mount its partitions, work with it with fdisk or GParted.

I have used this a lot in the past but never seen this type of error before and have been unable to find out what causes it or how to work around it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks,

Murray