[Discuss] Peculiar dd or dcfldd behaviour

Patrick nixniq-sneaking at sneakemail.com
Sat Nov 14 13:33:44 PST 2015

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 00:17:53 -0700 (MST)
Murray Strome wrote:

[...]
> I get an error something like:
> dcfldd:/dev/sdX:No such drive
>
> However, the drive  /dev/sdX is there; I can mount its partitions, work with it with fdisk or GParted.

[...]
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

Not really, but GParted can copy partitions [including NTFS] from
one disk to another -- a simple copy/paste operation.  So if you
don't have the same trouble with it that you've had with dd, why
not use GParted instead?

> Thanks,

You're welcome?  Don't thank me unless it works...  ;-)

I kind of wonder what the actual problem is, btw, as this message
doesn't really solve it, just suggests a possible way to avoid it.

> Murray

Cheers,
Patrick.
--
If it's working, the diagnostics say it's fine.
If it's not working, the diagnostics say it's fine.