[Discuss] line in for Intel sound chipset apparently has quit working with Debian Jessie kernel upgrade

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Jun 5 13:16:28 PDT 2017

On 2017-06-05 12:15-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

[...]
> This issue came to my attention because my ancient analog TV card (a
> Hauppauge WINTV-GO) was working fine yesterday morning, but after a
> system upgrade it quit delivering sound yesterday afternoon.  For this
> TV card, the sound is delivered via an external cable from the TV card
> to line-in (the blue connector) for the Intel audio chipset.

P.S.  Another possibility is to test whether that sound output from
the TV card is fine (which if that worked would prove by elimination
that there was now something wrong with line in).  Would someone be
willing to loan me the appropriate sound hardware to make such a test?
Normally such sound hardware would be used to connect to line out of a
sound card, but in this case it would connect to the analog audio
output of my TV card to test that.  As far as I can tell both ends of
my external sound cable are identical (i.e., are single male sound
plugs of the same size) and thus would be compatible with either line
in or line out jacks for a sound card and also compatible with any
sound equipment that connects to those.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin