[Discuss] line in for Intel sound chipset apparently has quit working with Debian Jessie kernel upgrade

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Jun 6 12:22:12 PDT 2017

On 2017-06-06 06:22-0700 pw wrote:

> Here is A similar card.
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_WinTV-Go

Hi Peter:

Thanks very much for finding that important reference.

A user reported there that Bt848-based WinTV-GO cards just don't work,
but several other users reported Bt878-based WinTV-GO cards (like
mine) should work with any of the following methods:

1) Use the card in combination with its audio pass-through cable. The
card itself uses the bttv driver, and the audio comes from your
soundcard's line-in connector.

2) Use the card without its cable. Use the bttv driver for the video,
and use btaudio driver on your Open Sound System (OSS) based linux box.

3) Use the card without its cable. Use the bttv driver for the video,
and use snd-bt87x driver on your Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
(ALSA) based linux box.

Method 1 has worked for me for the last decade, but its recent failure
motivated this whole thread.  It is possible downgrading or upgrading
my current kernel will fix this issue, but I am holding that possibility
in reserve.

I am going to ignore the deprecated OSS Method 2.

I am currently working on Method 3 which several users said worked for
them.  The above web page has all sorts of links to follow up to get
that method working.

So more later after I have had a chance to absorb all this additional
information.

Meanwhile, I am still curious about how you can capture Intel line-in
since my understanding of that will likely also help me to understand
Method 3.  So if you (or someone else here) has more to say in answer
to my previous questions on that topic, I would still be interested in
your response.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin