[Discuss] line in for Intel sound chipset apparently has quit working with Debian Jessie kernel upgrade

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Jun 7 14:18:50 PDT 2017

On 2017-06-06 20:02-0700 pw wrote:

> I just thought of something.
> Isn't most stuff H.D. now?
>
> The Win TV Go 300 is NTSC/PAL only.
>
> Do you need H.D. capabilities?

Hi Peter:

The short answer to your question is no.

I use a TV converter box (bought from Shaw years ago) to transform the
digital signal from Shaw cable to an analog TV signal (NTSC) which is
then further processed by my analog TV card with the audio part of it
further processed by my sound chip.  That whole chain has worked fine
for years for both video and audio, and video still works, but the
problem is that some part of that audio chain died a few days ago.
Furthermore, with the help of a source of analog sound signals from a
portable radio I have proved the problem is not in my sound chip so it
is either due to that converter box or my analog TV card. I have just
sent an off-list e-mail to John to attempt to arrange a test today or
tomorrow to see if his spare analog TV card restores the audio.  I
have also arranged for Shaw tech to come out on Friday to look at that
converter box (and its control paddle) as best they can, and I assume
possibly replace it, but I hope to be able to cancel that appointment
with the help of John's spare card.  :-)

Alan
Alan W. Irwin