[Discuss] line in for Intel sound chipset apparently has quit working with Debian Jessie kernel upgrade-SOLVED!

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Jun 8 12:38:48 PDT 2017

Problem solved by simply doing a cold reboot!

So my mental model of what was wrong is the system upgrade with new
kernel and sound driver for that particular TV card must have left
that card in a weird state with audio lineout muted but video fine.
So my subsequent warm boots (with power not turned off) did nothing to
get that card out of its weird state.  But my brain must have
continued to work through the possibilities while I was sleeping last
night because I woke up this morning with the idea that I should try a
cold boot (with the computer including TV card brought to a halt and
powered down before booting again), and that solved the whole issue!

Now that it is finally solved, this experience has been quite positive
for me in the sense that I learned some new things such as how to use
a portable radio with 3.5mm 'phone jack (essentially line-out from
that radio) to test my sound card line-in, how to use my speakers to
test line-out from my radio, my sound card, AND my TV card, and how to
use vlc to view the TV data generated by that TV card.

My thanks to both John and Peter for their willingness to share their
old TV cards to help solve/diagnose the problem, but, of course, that
help is no longer necessary, and in addition we have called Shaw to
cancel their appointment to look at the problem.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin