[Discuss] Streaming as a replacement for fixed channel TV

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Jun 8 12:49:43 PDT 2017

My recent experience with getting the tv converter box +
analog TV card solution working again, got me thinking about
the streaming alternative where I define streaming as
watching video content over the internet.  (There are
many other technological meanings for streaming according
to <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media> so I thought
I should be clear what I meant by that term.)

As I remarked to Peter off list, the tv converter + analog TV card
solution is already one generation removed from a pure digital TV
fixed channel solution, but (now that converter + TV card is working
again for me) it will likely be good enough until the whole idea of TV
broadcasts to fixed digital channels goes extinct (probably just in a
few more years) in favour of streaming solutions over the internet. Or
at least it will be good enough for our needs until we switch to
streaming ourselves.

Rogers has held off this streaming future a bit with their recent
"win" in the court case to stop small retailers selling "free" Android
streaming boxes in Canada that were allowing users to stream TV
without need of Rogers fixed TV channel solution. Although streaming
is perfectly legal in Canada, apparently the courts felt that it was
illegal for Rogers to lose money due to this competition from better
technology! However, despite this connivance of the Canadian courts
with the Rogers fixed TV channel monopoly, I think ultimately such
resistance to better streaming solutions is futile.

I haven't tried streaming myself yet although I am interested because
of general articles I have read about it including
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media>.  In that article,
they mention that one of my favorite viewing apps on Debian, vlc, can
be used to record live video streams which implies you can view
streams as well with vlc. Can someone give me a concrete example of
using vlc that way to view some specific free streaming content?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin