[Discuss] Netflix and/or other streaming services on Linux?

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Thu Nov 2 14:06:36 PDT 2017

On 2017-11-02 1:46 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2017-11-02 11:54-0700 Darren Duncan wrote:
> [...]
>> I do plenty of Netflix etc and I don't think I've actually gone beyond
>> 100-200GB/mo in actual usage.
>
> For my entertainment needs, I have been pretty content over the years
> simply watching movies and TV shows via DVD and sometimes TV shows via
> Shaw TV, a converter box, and an old computer TV card.  And I have
> gotten all of this to work without issues on my Linux PC running
> Debian. However, from articles I have read it is pretty clear the
> Netflix streaming approach for supplying entertainment needs is now
> the dominant one or soon will be.
>
> If your remark above means you have gotten Netflix and other
> streaming services to work on Linux, can you refer me to a howto or
> some other documentation about how you set that up?

So, two answers:

1. While this is a VLUG forum, subject of ISPs is neutral to operating system
and I was responding as such; my comments were equally applicable to both Linux
and other operating systems.

2. Per https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742 Netflix' modern HTML 5 based
solution ostensibly works on all modern web browsers on all modern operating
systems, unlike their older Silverlight based solutions.  Also, while Netflix
took the lead, it has also become or is becoming the case that other video
streaming sites are HTML 5 now and don't use Flash either, including Youtube and
ctv.ca etc.

-- Darren Duncan