[Discuss] Netflix and/or other streaming services on Linux?

John Blomfield jabfield at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 2 14:38:04 PDT 2017

Hi Alan,

I am sure that everyone has there own solution to media streaming on
Linux. For what it's worth my own solution is as follows:

I don't have a smart TV so in order to watch services such as Netflix on
my TV I need a media streaming CLIENT to connect my cable Internet to
HDMI input on your TV. These media streaming clients run on any computer
OS and media streaming software. These are often conveniently packaged
in a little box such as marketed by Roku. I have Roku 3. Connection to
the Internet may be Ethernet or wifi and to TV by HDMI. A remote
controller is used to select channels etc. A smart TV has everything you
need built in, no box required.

If you want to watch Netflix on you computer then you can do this using
your browser. Nothing extra required. Just log in to Netflix.

If you want to watch movies or shows that you may have downloaded or
have stored on you computer in say an MPEG4 files and you want to watch
it on your TV you need a media streaming SERVER on your computer such
Kodi (XBMC) open software. Some people run the Kodi client on a
mini-computer box and there is also a black market of people selling so
called Kodi boxes for those that do not know how to install Linux and
Kodi software. This type of setup basically does the same as my Roku 3
but without the copy-write restrictions.

My streaming usage of my computer is limited to just streaming files (eg
mpeg4) to my TV and for that I use Serviio media streaming SERVER that
works well on my current Fedora 26 OS. Serviio streams over my Ethernet
network to my Roku 3 acting as a client.

John