[Discuss] Netflix and/or other streaming services on Linux?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Nov 2 15:41:06 PDT 2017

On 2017-11-02 14:38-0700 John Blomfield wrote:

> If you want to watch Netflix on you computer then you can do this using your
> browser. Nothing extra required. Just log in to Netflix.

Hi John:

Thanks for that advice.  I guess if you want extreme resolution a TV
appliance is the way to go for your streaming needs, but I am content
with our computer monitor resolution (which we already use for DVD
watching with vlc) so I plan to watch Netflix using a browser.  And
for that case I still have the question about whether a normal
distribution-built (Debian built in my case) Mozilla would normally
just work, but it sounds like you may not be in a position to answer
that.

> My streaming usage of my computer is limited to just streaming files (eg
> mpeg4) to my TV.

Our situation is somewhat different.  We don't have a TV appliance.
Instead we bought an analog TV card (WINTV-GO) years ago, and so long
as we connect our Shaw cable to it via a digital-to-analog box, it
works fine. That said, I do feel the whole TV channel concept is on
the way out, so if we can watch TV shows with NetFlix directly via the
browser on our computer we will do that which should allow us to drop
paying for the Shaw cable TV service.  And that should also allow us
to throw away the digital to analog box and the TV card.

Alan

Alan W. Irwin