[Discuss] Netflix and/or other streaming services on Linux?

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Thu Nov 2 15:53:37 PDT 2017

On 2017-11-02 2:56 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2017-11-02 14:06-0700 Darren Duncan wrote:
>> 2. Per https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742 Netflix' modern HTML 5 based
>> solution ostensibly works on all modern web browsers on all modern operating
>> systems, unlike their older Silverlight based solutions.  Also, while Netflix
>> took the lead, it has also become or is becoming the case that other video
>> streaming sites are HTML 5 now and don't use Flash either, including Youtube
>> and ctv.ca etc.
>
> I would like to discuss that URL reference a bit further.  One of
> the options is the chrome browswer, but that appears not to be available
> on Debian.  The other Linux option is Mozilla Firefox version 47 so
> that looks promising.  It does have the qualifier
>
> Supported on stable, official release builds from Mozilla. Non-Mozilla
> builds are not supported.
>
> If that means it doesn't work unless it is one of the official release
> builds from Mozilla, then that is bad (since distros build their own
> versions which have additional patches beyond what upstream Mozilla
> provides).  However, if it simply means Netflix provides no customer
> support for distro-built Mozilla, but normally that should "just work"
> then that is OK.
>
> So can you comment on whether in your experience Mozilla just works
> for whatever Linux distro you are running?

I interpret that as saying Netflix has tested with the official Mozilla release
builds from Mozilla and not the others so that YMMV.  They don't seem to be
explicitly banning anything, just saying that if some other combos don't work
their tech support isn't knowledgeable enough to help with it.

Really, just download the latest Firefox (currently 56.0.2) and try it.

-- Darren Duncan