[Discuss] Real internet provider in Victoria?

brendan brendan at ming.org
Fri Nov 3 12:47:45 PDT 2017

i'm on shaw (their internet 150 service, but i think this should apply
for most of their service levels). no incoming ports are blocked, but
port 25 outbound is blocked. i just tested 25,80,443, and 8080 with
netcat listening on my end and connecting from outside - all worked.

so you could only run an smtp server if you had somewhere else to relay
through (and then, it'd need to be on a different port). but everything
else is open, so you should be able to run any other type of service
with no issue.

shaw's dhcp addresses seem pretty sticky - i generally get the same ip
back if i release and renew, which would make dyndns or the like a
little easier to deal with.

in the past i've tried out telus' service, but shaw's routing and
peering seems to be superior, though it's been a few years since (i
experienced more packet loss events and generally shittier routes when
on telus).

shaw's combo modem+wifi devices they pass on can be a mixed bag. i've
gone through a few of them, with only one of them really meeting my
needs (the hitel one) - depending on your needs, you . might have to go
through a few different ones until you find a model that doesn't suck.
(i think they mostly hand out cisco ones now, but like many cisco
devices it has broken ethernet port autonegotiation).

shaw installs can be pretty quick these days if your house/apartment is
already wired to their network - they just ship you a box, you plug it
in, and they enable you via software. usually they don't need to send
anyone out to mess with the pole or filters these days.