[Discuss] Real internet provider in Victoria?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Nov 3 15:39:27 PDT 2017

On 2017-11-03 12:47-0700 brendan wrote:

> shaw's combo modem+wifi devices they pass on can be a mixed bag. i've gone
> through a few of them, with only one of them really meeting my needs (the
> hitel one) - depending on your needs, you . might have to go through a few
> different ones until you find a model that doesn't suck. (i think they mostly
> hand out cisco ones now, but like many cisco devices it has broken ethernet
> port autonegotiation).

Hi Brendan:

Did you mean Hitron?  That is the cable modem that Shaw just gave us
(see <http://www.hitron-americas.com/product/cgnm-2250/> for details
on this particular model).

By the way, as I have said before here, I dislike wireless (and
constant cell phone use as well) because of the possible health risks
of constantly exposing our bodies to too much ambient microwave.  So I
was very glad that Shaw disabled the Wifi on this cable modem in
response to my request.  (They actually did that from a central
location, and I could verify that by the two lower signal lights on
the modem being turned off.)

Alan

Alan W. Irwin