[Discuss] Real internet provider in Victoria?

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Fri Nov 3 17:30:46 PDT 2017

For further information...

When the Internet 150 plan first came out, the rate was $80 per month for both
of the first 2 years, this being just $5/month more than I was paying for
Internet 30; since I knew I wouldn't be leaving Shaw any time soon, this
contract seemed a no-brainer.  Then, about 3-4 weeks after I joined, they
changed the offer to be $50 per month for the first year.  My understanding at
the time was that the Shaw deals were for anyone who was upgrading from a slower
speed and not just new customers.

As for speed, I will say that I got the full advertised rate, and more.  I live
in downtown Victoria.

While the speed test utilities provided by the ISPs themselves are good for
debugging speed issues, third parties are good for testing in a more neutral
fashion.  If you Google "internet speed test" you get a few third-party options.
  Just now one of them showed that I got 173.4MBps down and 15.8MBps up; another
showed 178.06 and 16.04.  You can also try exchanging data with servers you know
are fast and measure the rate.  An example of something that could fill up the
bandwidth is downloading one of those many-gigabyte games.

-- Darren Duncan