[Discuss] Real internet provider in Victoria?

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at komquats.com
Fri Nov 3 17:36:48 PDT 2017

In message <4E6AE5F528744E479C4F2AC326FFF840018BA40BE3 at EX10MBX01.intra.camos
un.
bc.ca>, "Deryk Barker (Honorary Colleague)" writes:
> I have the Shaw150 as well, since about a year ago.
>
> My download has once or twice hit 100Mbps when torrenting - which, as none of
>  the switches in the house are gigabit, means that my network was the limitin
> g factor...

I'd give TekSavy a shout. If it were just me I'd switch (my wife has an
@shaw.ca email address which she won't give up -- I'm still working on
her). I've heard good things about them. They don't block any ports and
they support IPv6.

IPv6 is important to me, primarily as it facilitates firewall testing. Shaw
has stated to me multiple times they have no plans for IPv6 support. I've
had to do all my IPv6 testing on my local network, using my testbed or my
main firewall.

On the flip side, ShawOpen is handy.

The other thing to note about Shaw, their network isn't configured the same
everywhere. For instance, greater packet fragmentation in some cities than
others.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com>