[Discuss] Real internet provider in Victoria?

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Fri Nov 3 17:56:18 PDT 2017

One important thing to consider is the actual service provider.

As far as I know, for land-line internet, Shaw and Telus are the only actual
physical pipe providers in town, and everyone else such as TekSavy is just
reselling their services.  So for example, TekSavy has DSL and Cable based
options, but if you pick the Cable one, you would need to have Shaw a hardware
connection to use it with.

As for email addresses, I made sure all of my family stopped using ISP emails
back in 2000, and we never looked back, so changing ISPs should have zero impact
on our email/web/etc addresses.

Cy, you should probably find out why the @shaw email is so important to your
wife.  If its just that lots of people know it, well the solution to that is to
find a more permanent address and setup a forward, then give it a year or
whatever for people to get used to the other address, and then the Shaw email
can be dropped regardless of which ISP you use.

-- Darren Duncan