[Discuss] Real internet provider in Victoria?

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at komquats.com
Fri Nov 3 22:33:11 PDT 2017

In message <776e99f3-46a5-7991-45bd-41ac33a11166 at gmail.com>, Craig Miller
write
s:

> > I'd give TekSavy a shout. If it were just me I'd switch (my wife has an
> > @shaw.ca email address which she won't give up -- I'm still working on
> > her). I've heard good things about them. They don't block any ports and
> > they support IPv6.
> Cy,
>
> I have TekSavvy, and I do like them. But in Victoria, native IPv6
> support is only via DSL, not cable. I have had both (first house was
> DSL, and my current one is cable). I asked them about IPv6 over cable,
> and they say it is a last mile problem (read: shaw).

I don't quite understand their reluctance. The cable modems they're
deploying are DOCSIS 3 and that standard supports IPv6. Unless their core
network is in need of attention.

> Of course, you can always run a free Hurricane Electric tunnel to get
> IPv6, which is what I do these days.

Hurricane Electric is on my todo list. I don't need IPv6 for the current
two projects however I'll need it when I dive into ipfilter again, which I
set aside for a while to work on two non-networking projects. Testing on my
network here is limited.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com>