[Discuss] Real internet provider in Victoria?

Burkhard Ott-Langer news2017 at derith.de
Sat Nov 4 10:48:57 PDT 2017

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 22:33:11 -0700
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert-ZPmQ7LUwQ4JWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> In message
> <776e99f3-46a5-7991-45bd-41ac33a11166-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>,
> Craig Miller write s:
> >
> > > I'd give TekSavy a shout. If it were just me I'd switch (my wife
> > > has an @shaw.ca email address which she won't give up -- I'm
> > > still working on her). I've heard good things about them. They
> > > don't block any ports and they support IPv6.
> > Cy,
> >
> > I have TekSavvy, and I do like them. But in Victoria, native IPv6
> > support is only via DSL, not cable. I have had both (first house
> > was DSL, and my current one is cable). I asked them about IPv6 over
> > cable, and they say it is a last mile problem (read: shaw).
>
> I don't quite understand their reluctance. The cable modems they're
> deploying are DOCSIS 3 and that standard supports IPv6. Unless their
> core network is in need of attention.
>

> > Of course, you can always run a free Hurricane Electric tunnel to
> > get IPv6, which is what I do these days.
>
> Hurricane Electric is on my todo list. I don't need IPv6 for the
> current two projects however I'll need it when I dive into ipfilter
> again, which I set aside for a while to work on two non-networking
> projects. Testing on my network here is limited.

Unfortunately, teksavvy did start filtering.
(https://www.teksavvy.com/en/why-teksavvy/policies/legal-stuff/internet-traffic-management-practices)
That is the reason I switched, they offered me turning it off if I
subscribe to a static IP (+ $4/month).
The $4 won't kill me, however I see it just as a different business
model to sell now static IPs.
Therefore I refused their offer, which would rather call offending.

cheers

@Cy, let's set up IPv6 next week :D.