[Discuss] [POSSIBLE SPAM] Re: Real internet provider in Victoria?

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Sat Nov 4 11:03:53 PDT 2017

On 2017-11-04 9:01 AM, Deryk Barker (Honorary Colleague) wrote:
> Does it not strike anyone else as strange that you can switch telephone providers and keep the same number, even though the technology is well over a century old, yet email addresses...

I recall it took government intervention to make that work with telephone
numbers, and that only happened relatively recently, maybe a decade or so ago.

As for your comparison, I would say that is apples and oranges.  Moving
telephone numbers around is more like moving domain names around, or possibly IP
addresses.  An individual foo at shaw.ca email is akin to phoning Shaw and then
entering a phone extension number to connect to an individual desk in the
company.  Not being able to port a phone number is like not being able to move
your own domain name from one host to another.

It is true though that ISPs should at least temporarily sell an
email/hosting-only service so one can pay to maintain an address independently
of using them as a pipe.

-- Darren Duncan