[Discuss] Real internet provider in Victoria?

Burkhard Ott-Langer news2017 at derith.de
Sat Nov 4 14:34:59 PDT 2017

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 14:14:52 -0700
pw <p.willis-EynCeXvFgoheoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> There should just be IP6 address provider companies.

Well, that would be fatal. How do you transport the electrical signal?
Right, who pays for the wire?

You need some type of authority who builds and maintains the
infrastructure and I wouldn't have any issue to pay a price for that.
What I don't want is to pay 3 times:

1. for the infrastructure
2. for their forced subscriptions (bandwidth, throtteling etc.)
3. pay more if I want to use certain services

> The network is mal-designed in that it requires intermediaries
> to hold a block of addresses from the pool rather than just
> having a flat address space where any specific address can exist
> at any physical location.

I don't get that, can you explain it a little more please?
Worldwide anycast?

> The IP system is more political than functional.

Nope, not at all. RIPE is just stricter than ARIN is, ARIN gets a
little bribe and all is fine.
The official policy for all NICs is to assign the blocks, once the
owner is not in need anymore he _has_ to give the block back.
That needs to be enforced.

TLDs became political (ICANN) in case you meant that.

> What the world needs is either ubiquitous IP6 satellite WIFI,
> or publicly owned ubiquitous fibre and 'last mile' infrastructure.

It would be already enough if I would be allowed to get my own wires in
place :).

> Either that or cap the maximum size of communications companies
> and break up Telus/Shaw/Rogers/etc .

Usually the more, the better.

> Small markets like Canada will never get competition with so few
> infrastructure providers because consumers are captive to their
> region.

I disagree. You just see the consumer market, that is peanuts anyway.
Now think about safe habour (Iceland is much smaller than Canada),
think about innovation while investing into the infrastructure etc.pp.

The problem is they don't want to move away from their old business
model, you can compare it with mp3 and CD sellers, cable TV and IPTV
etc.

As long as they have the power to enforce their business models,
innovation dies, new markets are restricted and at the very end you
have what you have here. The digital stone age with the most expensive
rates for any service _worldwide_.
I mean cell service Nigeria is cheaper than here, Romania as better
high speed connections than you can even get here for the residential
market.

I think it's an endless topic we could discuss for years, now if you
want to change anything start with your subscription first (I see you
have telus connection), once switched and satisfied, go to your
neighbor, friends etc.

Is that not our responsibility as tech people?
Just whining doesn't help anyone.

cheers