[Discuss] Real internet provider in Victoria?

Burkhard Ott-Langer news2017 at derith.de
Sun Nov 5 08:21:52 PST 2017

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 20:53:13 -0700
Richard James <raj-lB8+YAi5rcU+RS8kZM26tQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 04/11/2017 6:45 PM, pw wrote:
>
> > The main problem with any competition in Canada is the size of the
> > country vs. population.
> >
> > Germany has 82.7 million population. Canada has less than half that.
> > But Canada is 28 times the size of Germany.
>
> Isn't that a bit oversimplified?
>
> "Most" of Canada is unpopulated. Most of the population lives close
> to the US border with a few exceptions. A better comparison might be
> with the USA, large and small cities, rural areas and then other
> areas that are unpopulated.

So, then is should be even cheaper actually, since all the cities are
basically on a 'row' in the south. The connections are also there
already. It would be then more expensive for remote communities close
to the arctic and the such. Rural areas is a different topic, I agree
with that part. Competition, as fas as I know, is offering and demand.

If you offer crappy service, you will go bankrupt.

Everyone seems to be very unhappy with telus/shaw price politics, but
everyone is using it. Competition is not to blame here, since
alternatives exists. The last mile issues will still persist, even if
you switch. But the goal is to have a good connection/service without
being forced into the use of other services.