[Discuss] Real internet provider in Victoria?

Richard James raj at rjassociates.ca
Sun Nov 5 10:20:31 PST 2017

On 05/11/2017 8:21 AM, Burkhard Ott-Langer wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 20:53:13 -0700
> Richard James <raj-lB8+YAi5rcU+RS8kZM26tQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> "Most" of Canada is unpopulated. Most of the population lives close
>> to the US border with a few exceptions. A better comparison might be
>> with the USA, large and small cities, rural areas and then other
>> areas that are unpopulated.

> So, then is should be even cheaper actually, since all the cities are
> basically on a 'row' in the south. The connections are also there
> already.

Which kills the "argument" that it is cheaper to serve cities in the USA.

> It would be then more expensive for remote communities close
> to the arctic and the such. Rural areas is a different topic, I agree
> with that part.

Yes, clearly.

> Competition, as fas as I know, is offering and demand.

Add protective regulation, subsidies, supply management (also applies to
other goods/services but OT).

> If you offer crappy service, you will go bankrupt.

Unless there is no alternative.

> The last mile issues will still persist, even if
> you switch. But the goal is to have a good connection/service without
> being forced into the use of other services.

The last mile is the problem. No viable/cheaper alternatives.

--
Richard James