[Discuss] OS image

John Blomfield jabfield at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 23 15:05:46 PST 2014

On 01/23/2014 12:06 PM, George Farris wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 11:49 -0800, John Blomfield wrote:
>> I have now re-configured my all my desktop hard drives after my hard
>> drive failure. I also have programmed a very comprehensive cron job data
>> backup system for on site and off site. I had been testing openSuse 13.1
>> for a few months and decided it was ok to move up from 12.3, however,
>> installing and configuring all the application software is very, very
>> time consuming so I have been thinking it would be a good plan to
>> occasionally make a backup image of my OS partition.
>>
>> Question "What is the best way to capture an image of my OS?". I have
> I use Clonzilla. http://clonezilla.org/ , Thanks for the suggestion!

Clonzilla looks awesome! I will give it a try.

On 01/23/2014 11:56 AM, brendan wrote:
> you could just maintain a list of all the packages you have installed,
> rather than backing it all up...
>
> i too suffered a hard drive crash just last week (a failed SSD), and
> it took me about an hour to get linux reinstalled and configured back
> the way i like it. installing the OS and base applications is pretty
> quick nowadays with fast dvd drives and quick internet speeds, so
> quick that it hardly seems worthwhile to even try restoring that type
> of data from backups - as long as you have your homedir and /etc
> backed up, it's easy to rebuild instead of restore.

Hmm .......... I agree getting the basic install done is fairly painless
and quick but its all the configuration of the system and applications
that take the time. For me anyway.
openSuse installs from a usb flash drive these days which is quick but
even with fast Internet getting all the updates a couple of months after
release takes for ever due to all the inevitable bug fixes etc.